Monday, October 18, 2010

Weekly Letter -- 18 OCT 2010

Hello Everyone!

Transfers were this last week and I'm still in Lawton! And I have a new companion! And his name is Elder Norman! And he's from Eagle Mountain, UT! Elder Norman is a missionary's missionary. He is GREAT! He's planning on flying for the Air Force, so he likes talking about the military with me. He just got done being a Zone Leader for a couple transfers and now he's our District Leader/my new companion. It's his last transfer, so he goes home in about 5 weeks! And he is definitely not trunky! I've only been with him for a couple days, but I've already learned a lot from him!

Elder Norman and I!
Lately, we've been working a lot to get the members involved more. A couple days ago, Elder Norman pointed out that if we want to get the ward involved, we need to go through the bishop (thus says Preach My Gospel). I've known that before, but I guess I didn't ponder on the idea very much. He said, "Let's go stop by his house!" Seems like an obvious thing to do, right? Well, we hadn't done it yet, so we rode over to his house!

When we dropped in, Elder Norman introduced himself, and we ended up getting a couple referrals from the bishop! We tried the referrals the next morning and then reported back to the bishop (neither of them were home, but we tried!). Elder Norman told our bishop what Elder Holland had told all of the mission presidents about the Lord hastening His work. I think that struck a chord with the bishop. He seemed to ponder that thought quite a bit.

Yesterday in Elders Quorum, a few verses that we read really stood out to me. It was Mosiah 4:11-12. In verse 11, King Benjamin states, "And again I say unto you as I have said before, that as ye have... received a remission of your sins, which causeth such exceedingly great joy in your souls..." The source of exceedingly great joy in our souls is from receiving a remission of our sins; from being made clean through the Atonement of Jesus Christ. Repenting causes joy! What a simple, profound truth! If I'm not happy, I must repent! When I repent, I'll be happy!

King Benjamin goes on to say, "...and always retain in remembrance, the greatness of God and your own nothingness, and his goodness and suffering towards you, unworthy creatures, and humble yourself even in the depths of humility, calling on the name of the Lord daily, and standing steadfastly in the faith of that which is to come, which was spoken by the mouth of the angel. And behold, I say unto you that if ye shall do this ye shall always rejoice, and be filled with the love of God, and always retain a remission of your sins; and ye shall grow in the knowledge of the glory of him that created you, or in the knowledge of that which is just and true."

"Always retain a remission of your sins." What a promise! Receiving a remission of our sins will cause our souls to swell with joy, and not only that, but we can retain that remission of sins. And if we retain a remission of our sins, which causes exceedingly great joy in our souls, we will always have that joy in our souls!

I think there should be a special name for those verses. Maybe, "The Two Verses to Happiness." Or maybe a math equation would work better: repentance=happiness.

Anyway, that's all for now. My advice for the week: repent :) hahaha it feels GOOD!!!

I love you! :)

Love,
Elder Woolley

More Pictures!!


My last crazy district.


I heard Kanye likes these things?


"Here comes Halloween! Here comes Halloween!"
(Note from his sister: Phil's face was too dark so I inserted this pumpkin head and a few other Halloween things). :)

No comments:

Post a Comment