Monday, May 16, 2011

Weekly Letter - 16 May 2011

HELLO EVERYONE!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JEAN DONAKEY!!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, KEN DONAKEY!!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, PRIESTHOOD RESTORATION!!! (yesterday, at least)

This week has been great! My new companion is Elder Timoteo (originally from American Samoa, now in Seattle, WA). Here's why Elder Timoteo is awesome: A) because he's always happy, B) because he is very good at communicating openly with love (which is something I'm going to learn a lot about from him), C) he's Samoan, D) he likes to work hard and he knows how to clean things, E) he can do the haka (and he's good at it), F) he can hula (but he hasn't done it for me yet), G) he smiles a lot, and H) he's a fearless OYM-er. I am Elder Timoteo's 14th companion!! He goes home in December and has never been with a companion for more than a transfer for his entire mission. Basically, Elder Timoteo is awesome and it's no wonder he's had so many companions--everyone has to wait their turn to work with him and learn from him!

I finished reading the Book of Mormon a couple of days ago. This time, I marked the references to the Godhead, the Atonement, and the doctrine of Christ (the whole mission has been doing it). It was awesome :) Moroni's promise is still true. Reading through it has made me ponder about what to study now and for the rest of my life. I remember President Taylor once that his family studied "For the Strength of Youth" for a year and I got thinking, "What if I studied 'Faith in Jesus Christ' for a whole year? and then went through the rest of the principles of the doctrine of Christ for a year each, making a 5-year personal study plan for after my mission?" I've still got some time to think about it, but I look forward to personal study for the rest of my life.

Something I discovered yesterday, the Norman 4th ward is INSANE!!!! (Insane in a good way). Everyone here is connected to their purpose and it's AWESOME!!! I've never seen anything like it! We're walking through church, people are asking, "Hey, did that get done?" People are volunteering to help each other out. It's crazy. I have never in my life been in a ward that even comes close to the "connectedness" that the Norman 4th ward has. We have a baptismal candidate, Harrison Hipp, that is 13 years old. The young men and their leaders are reaching out to him a ton and coming to lessons with us. Now I understand why everyone calls Norman, "The Promised Land". If I ever live in Oklahoma again, Norman would be the choice place (I haven't seen much of the rest of Oklahoma, but Norman is awesome). It's also the home of the OU Sooners. The town shuts down when OU football is going on, so if I'm still here when football season starts I'll get to experience it myself!

That's all for now!!! I'll fill you in on awesome stories as they come along. Thanks for the prayers and love and support! I love all of you! :)

Love,
Elder Woolley

No comments:

Post a Comment